Properties of MMCs
- It's stiffer, with 15 to 40 % greater elastic modules than aluminum.
It has greater specific stiffness than titanium at half the weight.
- It's light. Only slightly denser than aluminum, with only a .003 lb/in3
- It's durable, with the same corrosion resistance as aluminum.
- It's rugged, more abrasion resistant than any aluminum alloy, and wears
better than cast iron. 55 times more wear resistance and 66% less material
lost in comparison tests with aircraft alloy.
- It can be recycled, just like aluminum.
- Lower coefficient of thermal expansion. Less effected by extreme cold
or hot weather.